Home Advisor’s Screening Process – Criminal Identity Verification
HomeAdvisor uses the following criteria to screen service professionals at the time they apply for membership in our network:
- We make sure that our service professional businesses carry any applicable state-level trade licensing for the services for which we match them to consumers.
Sex Offender Search
- We check the websites that consolidate state sex offender information in the state in which the owner/principal of the company is located to confirm that there is not a match based solely on the name of the owner/principal of the company.
Legal Search for Civil Judgments
- We use third-party data sources to check the owner/principal of each business for bankruptcy filings, liens, and significant state-level civil legal judgments, in the state in which the owner/principal of the company is located, occurring within 12 months prior to the service professional’s application for membership in the HomeAdvisor network.
State Business Filings
- For service professionals that are corporations or limited liability companies, we confirm that the business is registered in the state in which it is located.
Criminal Records Search
- We use third-party data sources to conduct a criminal search, in the state in which the owner/principal of the company is located, for any relevant criminal activity associated with the owner/principal of the business, within the three years prior to such service professional’s application for membership in the HomeAdvisor network. HomeAdvisor’s third-party vendor uses a national criminal database (“NCD”) to screen our service professionals. The comprehensiveness of the NCD varies by state. Please be aware that the reporting in the NCD is particularly limited in the following states: AL, CO, DE, GA, ID, KS, KY, LA, ME, MA, MI, MS, MT, NE, NV, NH, NM, SD, UT, VA, VT, and WY.
Identity Verification (Social Security Number)
- HomeAdvisor verifies the social security number of the business owner/principal to confirm their identity. (This applies primarily to small businesses.)